latest windows 10 support?

General Topics about DSLogic Pro hardware
Hi,

I have used my ds logic pro and created a vpw protocol analyser for it which is linked elsewhere in the forums. I havnt needed the tool recently, but attempted to use it tonight with dsview 0.95.1 and it now fails to start capture with "failed to start session".

I checked and downloaded dsview v0.96 and the readme states to remove old versions including drivers. I uninstalled, then installed 0.96. Now windows 10 is not loading any drivers. It sees the device but says drivers not installed.

Are drivers available for "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]"?

Thanks!
Attachments
dslogic pro win 10.png
dslogic pro win 10.png (23.1 KiB) Viewed 569 times
antus

Hi antus,

Please check the readme doc:
2. If your OS is WIN8 or above, please disable the driver signature enforcement before installing the software:
WIN8:https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/disabling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8
WIN10:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-do-i-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-win/a53ec7ca-bdd3-4f39-a3af-3bd92336d248?auth=1

I think your don't disable the signature, so the new driver have not been installed correctly.

Thanks.
Andy
Site Admin

Still, without signed Win10 drivers, the device becomes useless for people trying to use it in a commercial environment where disabling the signed driver enforcement might be either not possible or violate company directives.
Any chance that there will be a signed Win10 driver???
0xdeadbeef

Actually its worse than that, Windows 10 no longer accepts unsigned drivers at all. The information linked above is outdated. See here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/window ... sion-1607/

Last year, we announced that beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal (Dev Portal) to be digitally signed by Microsoft. However, due to technical and ecosystem readiness issues, this was not enforced by Windows Code Integrity and remained only a policy statement.

Starting with new installations of Windows 10, version 1607, the previously defined driver signing rules will be enforced by the Operating System, and Windows 10, version 1607 will not load any new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the Dev Portal. OS signing enforcement is only for new OS installations; systems upgraded from an earlier OS to Windows 10, version 1607 will not be affected by this change.

We’re making these changes to help make Windows more secure. These changes limit the risk of an end-user system being compromised by malicious driver software.

If you are a driver developer, here is what you need to do:

Ensure that you submit new drivers to Microsoft via the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal.
Begin the process of getting an Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate. All drivers submitted to the portal must be signed by an EV certificate.

My windows version, today, is version 10.0.14393 and I can find no way to override the driver signing. All I can find on the internet is old information relating Windows 10 when it first came out. It is true that policy would be a problem from business users, but in my case this is a home PC. I can apply hacks but they do not work and I and everyone else must install the updates to remain secure.

The windows 10 anniversary update broke this, and now the creators update is getting around. Signed drivers are now necessary and the only way forward.
antus

In the thread linked by Andy, from comment page 6 there are discussions about how the disable driver signing feature does not work. It seems to stem from secureboot and other commenters make note that many newer motherboards (those which are UEFI capable) do not have the option to disable it. My PC must be one of those. This explains why I can no longer disable driver signing enforcement like I used to be able to do before the anniversary update. I also cant use BCDEDIT to set test signing, as that has been modified to check secureboot too. Game over.

From the comment thread:

The help pages are correct, as long as you run a classic BIOS or 'some Hybrid' UEFI you can turn this off. But once you run new HW devices (native UEFI) this is no longer possible, more, it's a HW requirement for al new devices (PC's) to run UEFI with Secure Boot ON.

If you can't turn off the Secure Boot option, because you are running a system with UEFI firmware, you have the following options:

- Return to the RTM release 1607 14393.

- Check with the device vendor whether they plan to release a correctly signed driver to run on a yet to be release OS (W10 rs2 insider builds).

- Return the device and look for a replacement.

I dont want to downgrade and loose security patches. I dont want to replace my PC which works fine for everything else. So, option 2 - (and enforcing windows releases are out), Check with the vendor - can signed drivers be released?
antus

I fear the project is kinda dead. There is only one guy who gives some "official" comments every few months but ignores most posts. The whole attitude of this forum was always super strange (can't simply register and all).
I would assume there is no company anymore if there ever was one. Obviously someone still produces the hardware but as it's open source, this doesn't mean much. I guess this also explains why the recent hardware sold on eBay has a different connector.
Pretty damn sad as I always liked the thing despite of some shortcomings regarding the trigger possibilities.
0xdeadbeef

Return to General Discussion